Subject: When to retire
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 28 Nov 2017 12:55:09 +0000

Hello everybody.

This subject is a slippery slope and it has no objective answer.

I am very glad that I saw Licia Albanese, Zinka Milanov, Paul
Schoffler, Ramon Vinay and many others who were past their
absolute best but were still able to convey the essence of that
which had brought them celebrity. They were quite wonderful,
in fact. Zinka's "Gioconda" was superb in 1961, and Licia's
"Violetta" was the most emotionally effective I've ever seen,
even as late as 1960. Yes, I needed patience to get through
Act 1 but what followed was worth the wait.

I have always believed that the box office will determine the shalf
life of singers, and that as long as there are people who are willing
to pay for "biographies" there will be a place for them. I imagine
that there are many thousands of people who are happy that they
had the opportunuty to see Luciano Pavarotti, even at the end.
Their choice, and why not!

Dorothy Kirsten really has no place in this conversation. She was
an enormously competent singer whose abilities remained intact
until that final curtain. The most remarkable thing about her was
the jaw dropping consistency of her vocalism.

Bob