Subject: Retire???
From: Ariane Csonka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 27 Nov 2017 21:39:22 -0500

I think it depends on your view of what a singer should be.  How much of greatness is voice, how much is artistry, how much is the magic of charisma (which Hvorostovsky certainly exuded)?   Sheer vocalism involves a physicality which like any athletic talent declines with age. But in my opinion artistry and charisma grow stronger with the passing years.  I am grateful that I saw Licia  Albanese at the very end of her career; she flatted the high notes, but who cared?  She was magnificent.
There ARE some gifts that come with age!  For some of us, appreciation is one of them.