Subject: Retire???
From: Ariane Csonka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 27 Nov 2017 21:39:22 -0500

I think it depends on your view of what a singer should be.  How much of greatness is voice, how much is artistry, how much is the magic of charisma (which Hvorostovsky certainly exuded)?   Sheer vocalism involves a physicality which like any athletic talent declines with age. But in my opinion artistry and charisma grow stronger with the passing years.  I am grateful that I saw Licia  Albanese at the very end of her career; she flatted the high notes, but who cared?  She was magnificent.
There ARE some gifts that come with age!  For some of us, appreciation is one of them.
Modify your settings: