Subject: The LA Times on Girls of the Golden West
From: James Camner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 27 Nov 2017 13:08:24 -0800

Here is Mark Swed's review:

I can't comment on the quality of yet another new opera from the world of
academia, but I do have an opinion about the title of which Swed wrote
"[Sellers] and Adams chose the title as an arch comment on Puccini’s
melodramatic early 20th century Gold Rush opera, “La Fanciulla del West”
(Girl of the Golden West)."

Pardon me if I see it as a lame, cynical, crass, commercial attempt to
associate the work in the unwashed public's eye with the Puccini work.  But
I have to go now, I'm in the midst of writing my great American novel "Gone
With The Winds"

James Camner

Modify your settings: