Subject: Re: Met Requiem
From: Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 27 Nov 2017 10:41:45 -0700

I remember a time when singers who passed their primes retired.  I remember
a time when singers in the late primes retired rather then sing at anything
much less then that which they had at their best.  Ferruccio Furlanetto,
one of my favorite current singers BTW, is 68 years old.  Almost all of his
contemporaries except Devia, Gruberova, Nucci and Domingo are comfortably
retired (they should probably be also).  It doesn't mean you cannot sing at
that age - many can - but their are days where the vocal apparatus works
and days where it doesn't.  Just look at Domingo - no, he is no baritone
but some days his voice is remarkably preserved and others - well, less
so.  Furlanetto might have had a cold, might have been overcome with
emotion (although he is a great professional and could probably sing
through about anything and keep his emotions under control) but perhaps it
is just the years catching up on him.  Singers are human.  When Dimitri
Hvorostovsky came out on stage at that Met Gala last year, it was amazing.
A remarkable triumph of love and willpower.  I relistened to the Cortigiani
the other day.  My feels were the same as when I first heard it, it was on
all accounts a remarkable display of love and will but to maintain that the
voice was functioning at anything near what he was and what made the world
fall in love with him, is ignoring the basic truth.  Time and illness
spares no one.

didn't hear the Requiem the other night but I am looking forward to hearing
it on Saturday.  As for Dimitri Hvorostovsky, God bless his memory and let
us be thanks for the nearly thirty years of magnificent music making he
have us.  It wasn't the big dramatic baritone of a Warren, Bastianini,
MacNeil or Merrill, but it was quite simply one of the most beautiful
baritone sounds I ever heard live, a voice on the same level of beauty as
Bastianini and Merrill.

Donald