Subject: Re: Met Requiem
From: Lucia McCreery <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 26 Nov 2017 21:57:47 -0500

I was in house, in my usual perch in Family Circle standing room, where the sound is superb.
(Gave up an orchestra seat for that!)  Generally, I agree with your comments, and felt the
Dies Irae fell short of the requisite power and terror.

About Furlanetto: I think he had a cold, or something that kept him bringing his handkerchief
to his face. (Maybe he was moved; was he in sorrow for Hvorostovsky too?) He also
frequently bent his head over his closed fist, especially right before it was his turn to sing.
Clearing his throat or head? He sounded better as the perf. went on and didn't use his
handkerchief as much.

The long silence before the applause was quite gratifying, and so was the general quiet of the
house throughout (except for the boneheaded "Bravo!" which I fortunately didn't hear).

Also very glad the Met dedicated the series to Hvor and included the insert with the touching
photo and eulogy.