Subject: Musical pot luck at next Vocal Record Collectors Society meeting: Dec. 15
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Sun, 26 Nov 2017 19:38:44 -0500

--------Forwarded message--------------

The Vocal Record Collectors Society presents

FAVORITE RECORDS BY ????

Date:  Friday December 15, 2017
Time:  7:45 PM
Place:  Third Floor Meeting Room, Christ Church, Park Ave. & 60th Street,
Manhattan, NYC

A December tradition! This program always provides a good opportunity for
members who may not be interested in giving an entire program to share a
particular favorite or two with the rest of us, but it does not preclude members
who do give programs from also joining in the fun by sharing a favorite.
Ground rules:

1) Most important: Your selection(s), including your spoken introduction,
if any, should not exceed seven minutes in TOTAL length, as current arrangements
with our landlord are geared towards getting us out of the building at a
reasonable hour);
2) The selection(s) should be vocal;
3) The selections(s) should be on CD with the track(s) noted, or on cassette
POSITIONED TO BE PLAYED (as we simply cannot search for an item in front of
dozens of people). It does make things easier for our much put-upon engineer,
Seth Winner, when this is done and, in the case of cassettes, when he can also
be told if the selections are Dolby or non-Dolby.  Please let Joe Pearce know
what you plan to play (not the singer or selection, just the voice category and
means of audio transmission CD or cassette) prior to the start of the program
so that the playing order can be reasonably arranged. Joe should be there by
6:15PM, so please let him know the requested details upon arrival as, once
things get going, it may be hard for him to rearrange the program in order to
insure that we dont hear twelve countertenors in a row!

Do plan to join the fun and to be properly flabbergasted by what your
innocent-looking fellow members may spring upon you when the fit is upon them.

IMPORTANT! WE EXPECT TO ACTUALLY GET THINGS GOING AT EXACTLY 7:45PM
SHARP, SO THAT THE TIME APPEARING BELOW IS REAL, AND NOT JUST OUR USUAL RUSE TO
GET MEMBERS SEATED BY 8:00PM! GET THERE BY 7:45PM, PLEASE.

VRCS meeting schedule for 2018 (subject to change):
January 12, 2018
February 2, 2018
March 9, 2018
April 6, 2018
May 4, 2018
June 1, 2018
July 6, 2018
(no meeting in August)
September 7, 2018
October 18, 2018
November 2, 2018
December 7, 2018

A DELIGHTFUL INVITATION FROM OUR SISTER ORGANIZATION IN LONDON

Lustig, of The Record Collector fame, has sent us the following message: A while
back the RVAS (Recorded Vocal Arts Society) started a Facebook page to try to
encourage membership. A new initiative is to upload sound samples of our talks.
We have always recorded our meetings, and now we are sitting on an archive of
talks given by singers and other personalities. We have just uploaded a talk
given by the inimitable John Steane in January 2001. We hope to add more as time
goes on. To listen, one simply goes to the Facebook page and searches for
Recorded Vocal Arts Society. From there, there is a link to the talk. You do not
need to joint Facebook. Can you please share this with your members and, at the
same time, remind VRCS members that they will always be welcome at our meetings.
Well, that pretty much speaks for itself, although your secretary will add that
he has heard the John Steane January 2001 program and it is everything (and
more) that you might expect from that most legendary of writers on Things Vocal.
Thanks, Larry, for this information, and also for continuing your RVAS
attendance offer to wandering VRCS members!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/996391233829768/about/

==
posted by
  Listowner: OPERA-L ; SMT-ANNOUNCE ; EXLIBRIS-L ; SoundForge-users