Subject: Re: Carol Neblett
From: John Feather <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 26 Nov 2017 16:03:47 -0500

Was lucky to see Neblett in a couple of NYCO productions:  Margarita/Helen
(MEFISTOFELE), Donna Elvira, Marie (TOTE STADT) and Poppea - physically
stunning, full voiced and a good actress.  I also remember the brouhaha over
her New Orleans THAIS when she dropped the front of her costume as the
Act 1 curtain fell (I heard she was asked to pose for Playboy but said "she
only stripped for her art!") - no nudity when she did THAIS in Baltimore.  I
understand that her divorce from Kenneth Schermerhorn affected her very
hard and thus her career.  She was one of the many bright lights of the
golden age of the NYCO.