Subject: Re: OPERA-L Digest - 25 Nov 2017 to 26 Nov 2017 - Special issue (#2017-1145)
From: David Shengold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 26 Nov 2017 20:56:09 +0000

  Hi Bon

I agree that her career should have yielded more than it did, given her gifts.
But I think it's a bit NYC-centric to say that her career's glory days were over in 1980.
The ROH FANCIULLA video after all derives from 1982.

Also, I as a teenager had also moreorless accepted that the uneven Met Senta marked an end to her most valuable years ( a Met 1983 Donna Elvira was iffy)  and then I moved to the Bay Area in 1984 and heard Neblett give several very good performances, particularly Chrysothemis opposite Janis Martin in 1984 and two quite strong BALLO Amelias opposite Bergonzi, Cossotto and Mills the next year-- not flawless, but very well acted and by and large admirably sung.  Bergonzi-- one of my all -time favorite singers-- did everything he could to stay on higher ground than she, as she was so much taller than he.

I wish the NYCO TOTE STADT with her and John Alexander had been filmed, and I wish Mr. Alexander were on the Leinsdorf recording in place of Kollo who has expressive merits but tends to unsteadiness.

BTW, does anyone know where Ms. Neblett passed away? In Coronado CA? That you can answer privately.

Best- David