Subject: Re: Carol Neblett
From: Max Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 26 Nov 2017 11:00:36 -0800

My take:

It was a big, blowsy voice and a vibrant performer for a few years in the mid 70s and early 80s. Then something took the oomph out of her.

Quite a striking woman. Big and beautiful, a bit of an operatic Mae West.

I saw her as Elettra in “Idomeneo”  (a spectacular San Francisco debut), Vitellia in “Clemenza di Tito,” as Minnie, the loudest Musetta I’ve ever heard, and as Chrysothemis (surprisingly pallid after the previous high voltage performances). Minnie was probably her best role.

One of the relatively few voices who, to me, sound better on record than I remember her live. In the house I felt the voice sounded very big, but spread and unfocused, sometimes almost hollow. On the studio recordings of “Die Tote Stadt” and “Fanciulla” or even her Alice Ford in a Met “Falstaff” that has been on Sirius, there’s what seems like a more delicate and focussed sound (in the “Fanciulla” recording, her bible reading almost sounds like it could be Caballé) that I don’t recall hearing in the opera house.

Max Paley

Sent from my iPad