Subject: Re: Girls of the Golden West
From: David Wagner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 24 Nov 2017 15:32:06 -0500

Thanks are due to Frank for posting a review he so strongly disagrees with.
But, though without the advantage of having seen "Girls," I must agree with
krboyce. Unless Kosman's review is just factually inaccurate, "Girls"
sounds, not so much like a PC teach-in, but like a geeky College
Republican's send-up of a PC teach-in`.

I dispute only Kosman's line about of Puccini's "laughable Italian miners
and...singular heroine." Minnie's singularity as a heroine is a plot
premise. OK, so the secondary profession of most western women who kept
saloons was probably not that of schoolmarm/Bible teacher. But the libretto
accounts for how Minnie is who she is, in the moving duet in which Rance
does the same for himself.

As for the miners, they're only Italian in the sense that Puccini and that
Mozart's Spaniards in Don Giovanni and Figaro are, or his Egyptians in
Flute are German: i.e. the composer and librettist(s) worked in the
language(s) they were familiar with and were expected of them by most of
their audiences. Idk, maybe they should have written Fanciulla in English
bc of its Met premiere; but that would probably have resulted in more
comical anomalies than their frequent shouts of  "Hello!" Apart from that,
they're no more Italian than the libretto language makes them be: they're
Joe, Happy, Sid, etc., not Giuseppe, Felice, and Siddo, or Sidneo.

All this is on my mind bc I recently reviewed the Virginia Opera's
Fanciulla, and immersed myself in the work in preparation. I'll post that
review separately.

-David Wagner