Subject: Re: When a beloved and great singer dies in their prime.........
From: tom ponti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 23 Nov 2017 12:36:38 +0000

I was watching a lot of Dimitri on You Tube last night as well, singing arias, songs, duets with Kaufman, Fleming and Netrebko. There is a wonderful DVD with Dimitri and Fleming from St Petersburg in which they perform Russian songs, and duets, as well as Renee giving a history of the city and showing various sites. Both are in glorious voice, singing duets from Simon Boccanegra, Trovatore and Eugene Onegin. This was in 09 and the first time they performed the final scene from Onegin. The Boccanegra duet is gorgeous, the Trovatore duet is exciting and beautifully sung. These performances reminded me how beautiful Fleming's voice was. I think Maria in Boccanegra would have been a good role for her. Perhaps she did sing it? I also think she may have done very well with the Trovatore Leonora? The Silvio-Nedda duet with Anna is the most beautiful I have heard since the de los Angles-Merrill performance on the RCA recording.  There is little doubt that Dimitri and Renee really enjoyed singing with each other and he seems to bring out the best of her. The one good thing about Dimitri's tragic death is that we have these wonderful live performances on DVD or You Tube to see and hear for as long as we are alive. The first time I ever saw or heard Dimitri was on TV in a Tucker Gala in which he sand Il Balen, which blew me away and is probably the most wonderful performance of that glorious aria I ever heard. May he RIP, with the knowledge of the joy he gave to so many.