Subject: When a beloved and great singer dies in their prime.........
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 23 Nov 2017 02:30:45 -0500

I know that all of us are feeling this tragedy with great intensity.  We all love and revere a
great singer in the golden years of their prime, which Dmitri certainly was.  I've spent the
entire day on You Tube listening to him and it was like a catharsis for me.  Our treasured
singers become like spiritual friends and we view them as part of our lives.  When
something like this happens, it's like a death in the family.  Whether we realize it or not, we
who love opera become very emotionally connected to the singers we love.
     While few were taken by surprise by his passing,  the feeling of finality is omnipresent
at this time.  To my ears, Dmitri was the premiere baritone of our time, and the fact that he
was still at his vocal peak is even more painful.
     While we sometimes may even criticize our favorite singers, they are OURS and we feel
like they belong to us.  Perhaps because we are sensitive enough to love opera, our feelings
may be more intense than that of people who don't.  I don't know.  What I DO know is that I
feel a very personal sense of loss.
     He helped to make MY world spin, as do only a handful of others.  Dmitri was a true
titan of opera.