Subject: Who was the soprano and/or conductor?
From: Dennis Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 22 Nov 2017 18:37:12 -0500

    Hi, Y'all!

    Just home after a drive of some 50+ miles.  At 4:25 p.m. central time, Met Radio on Serius XM played a recording of "Porgi Amor," from "Le Nozze di Figaro."  The conductor chose an unusually slow tempo for this piece--a tempo I have always imagined as being "just right" for this aria and have never before heard.  The soprano, too, was remarkable, inflecting the words and bringing them alive with vocal colors that I have never heard before either.  Who was this remarkable conductor and this remarkable soprano--can anyone supply the names?

    This wonderful performance was almost ruined, however by its being a historically SUPPOSEDLY INFORMED performance, with every stringed instrument in the orchestra going out of its way to resemble a fingernail on a blackboard as closely as possible.  I cannot actually believe that anyone in 1786 found such sounds to be beautiful, either.  Once I know this conductor's name, I shall likely do everything in my power to avoid all performances on record that he conducts, although I strongly suspect that I am already most likely doing exactly that.  HIP performances are just never hip, and whenever I hear one I am at a loss to understand why otherwise sensible people tolerate them.

    Best,

    Dennis Ryan