Subject: Re: Hvorostovsky
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 22 Nov 2017 15:43:21 -0500

This is very sad news, although as others have said, not unexpected.

What a great gift, both to us and to himself, to have brought so much beauty to so many
and to have inspired so many cherished memories.  That is a legacy indeed.

I heard many wonderful performances from Hvorostovsky, in the house and on broadcasts,
but the one that stands out in my memory is his singing of Yeletsky's aria in "Pique Dame."
It was in the great line of Russian baritones, on par with Pavel Lisitsian (and greater praise
than that, there is not).  Even in roles in which I thought he was a bit stretched, like Simon
Boccanegra and Rigoletto, he brought something very special.  But in Pique Dame, Don
Carlo, Traviata, Eugene Onegin and many others, he was supreme, the greatest of our time.

This is where it all started in 1989:

Amazing, particularly beginning at 6:08.  Such breath control at such a young age!

And speaking of Pique Dame and Cardiff, there is this:

We will not see his like again any time soon.

Modify your settings: