Subject: Dimitri Hvorostovsky RIP
From: James Camner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 22 Nov 2017 09:06:32 -0800

"You've got to hear DImitri Hvorostovsky" wrote Vivian Liff after the
Cardiff competition in 1989.  Vivian went on to compare him to Battistini,
high praise indeed.

So we saw Hvorostovky make his New York City debut at Alice Tully Hall not
long after. And then we saw him countless times, each one a precious memory
now. He was every bit as advertised, and the comparison to Battistini was
spot on.

I had seen two great baritones in person before then - Robert Merrill and
Tito Gobbi, but they were both way past their primes. Hvorostovsky was
easily the greatest baritone I saw in his prime, and I believe he was the
finest Russian baritone to ever make records, even surpassing the ancient
records of Joachim Tartakov whom he most resembled vocally.

Dimitri Hvorostovsky never disappointed us. He was a golden age unto
himself. When we at last got to see his incomparable Onegin, he actually
managed to rouse Renee Fleming into something like a dramatic singer, he
had that kind of effect on his casts.

A highlight was his Carnegie Hall recital with Anna Netrebko, both in their
full flush of youthful prime. The place went wild. It was incredible there
was literally dancing in the aisles like you might see at a Rock concert.
Hvorostovsky was so magnificent then and always.  He really was unique. I'm
so sad he died so young, that we lost him so soon.

RIP to a titan.

James Camner