Subject: Re: Alfred Piccaver (was Re: What makes a satisfying singer)
From: Russ Geschke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 21 Nov 2017 15:33:03 -0600

Piccaver was considered by the Metropolitan, but Jeritza, his prima donna
rival in Vienna, helpfully put in a bad word about him with Gatti-Casaza and
he ultimately was not engaged; it probably would have helped if he had been
Italian, although Piccaver reportedly had not accepted a contract G-C had
offered him a decade earlier, in 1914, and so was out of favor.  Thereafter,
collegiality between Jeritza and Piccaver was notably absent.  (What
Piccaver said about her was summarized by one of his pupils as "Jeritza was
insufferable.")  (fr. The Record Collector, vol. XXII nos. 5-7, pp. 110,
157.)  And the Met had to continue to limp along with only Gigli,
Martinelli, Lauri-Volpi, Tokatyan, Chamlee, et al.  Piccaver did sing with
the Chicago Opera ("Chicago Civic Opera") in two seasons, 1923-1924 and
1924-1925, and was a great success with the public and critics. (The Record
Collector article, pp. 113-114.)  Admirers will have their own favorite
Piccaver records; for my part, his Lohengrin records -- the two duets with
Margarete Angerer and the final narrative and farewell -- are the supreme
versions of that music.