Subject: Re: Death in Venice
From: Max Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 21 Nov 2017 10:15:20 -1000

Well, Thomas Mann did set about writing the novella immediately after he learned of Mahler’s death, so there is a connection.

The Britten opera was something I couldn’t ever crack, to my disappointment. I was very excited to hear of its publication and the release of the first recording in 1974. The Mann work had resonated with me and I thought Britten should be the right composer to make it into an opera.

I bought the LP set as soon as it came out. There was a great deal of skill, craft, complexity and color, but I didn’t detect a core substance as I had with “Peter Grimes” and “Billy Budd” nor did I find myself enchanted with the pure level of musical invention as I had been with “Midsummer Night’s Dream” and “Albert Herring.”

I went to see the San Francisco Spring Opera Theater production and heard an extraordinary amount of talent deployed but still came away with a sense of emptiness and felt that what I heard did not begin to convey the subtleties of Mann’s novella.

I’ve tried to re-engage with the work on multiple occasions but keep coming up cold.

To those of you who find it compelling and moving, my hat’s off to you. I envy you.

Max Paley

Sent from my iPad