Subject: Re: Alfred Piccaver (was Re: What makes a satisfying singer)
From: Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 21 Nov 2017 11:04:10 -0700

Yes,  So right.  Unfortunately, like everyone else, Chamlee had to work
under the shadow of the legend of Caruso.  Today, he'd be a major superstar
- the equal of anyone, including JK.  The other one was Piccaver.  I
believe he should have had a major career at the Met, he was an
Anglo-American after all, raised here, but ;made his career in Vienna away
from the immediate memories of Caruso whose house the Met remained for
decades.  Everyone worked under the collective memories of his greatness.

Donald