Subject: Re: Nilsson on Corelli and Turandot
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 16 Nov 2017 18:29:17 +0000

D'amour l'ardente flamme" and it was magnificently sung, as had been
the case when Callas recorded it some years earlier.

The role of Marguerite has been alternately sung by mezzos and
sopranos in, I would guess, just about equal measure since its
premiere. It is a very middle placed role, and its showpiece aria is
not a particular challenge for mezzos with a comfortable extension
at the top of the range.

It certainly is not proof that Jessye Norman is/was a soprano, and
I'm inclined to Bob Levine's view that she was happiest within the
staff.

Bob