Subject: Re: Nilsson on Corelli and Turandot
From: robert levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 15 Nov 2017 16:01:38 -0500

Wow - thanks - you made me recall Caballe's Adriana: ravishing, Corelli's
Forza, yes too - and to this day he's the only one who can sing it (I hated
Domingo's transpositions). Sutherland's Puritani and esp. Sonnambula will
also never be beat. (Sutherland is so great it's easy to forget her - maybe
because she's everything but moving. Her Esclarmonde also drove me crazy -
never heard singing like that in my life.)
Domingo's Des Grieux? Almost invariably strained, but one of the few roles
he NEVER called in.

And you're right - nothing since the millenium. Gheorghiu - a good, chilly
singer. Kaufmann's Parsifal, maybe.
Mmmm.