Subject: Lush Lyric Sopranos
From: Ghozel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 16 Nov 2017 13:13:35 -0500

It's interesting to me to compare the career choices of the "lush" lyric sopranos like Price, Te Kanawa, Fleming, Mitchell, Freni, etc.

Most seem comfortable in Mozart and Strauss.  Price and Mitchell, both with heavier voices, moved into Verismo but Te Kanawa and Fleming generally avoided it.

Fleming recorded a convincing Verismo album but has never tried (I believe) Mimi and Liu, both of which seem like they would fit.  Instead she continued Strauss and Bel Canto.

Te Kanawa did dabble with Tosca (internationally televised) but then rushed away from Verismo.

Freni did include Mimi, Butterfly (on records at least), Fedora, and Manon Lescaut (late career), but being a soprano from Italy, she had more pressures to sing Verismo.

Certainly, Verismo can be voice shredding, but, even with its popularity with the public and its ability to catapult singers into stardom, I'm surprised that so many who could sing it avoid it nearly completely.