Subject: Re: Exterminating Angel
From: Ken Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 20 Nov 2017 19:44:54 -0500

Thank you, Katalin, for starting this discussion. I hesitate to evaluate any
opera here as I know so little compared to most people here, but after
hearing this one twice on Sirius, finding it tiresome the first time and
beginning to warm up on the second listen, I loved the HD broadcast,
especially the score, from start (those bells!) to finish. I do agree that
the end could have been handled better; I took the booms at the end to stand
for batterings at the cathedral doors, but visually the entrapment was not
made clear. Why the libretto didn't follow the film and show a few
characters hesitating to leave, to make clear their plight, I don't know.

Our Charlottesville telecast was fine except for four or five quick
dropouts. I don't think we missed more than a few seconds at a time. One of
the ushers attributed to problem to bad weather in New York.

Ken