Subject: What makes a satisfying singer
From: Ghozel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 20 Nov 2017 18:00:32 -0500

For me, a satisfying singer is one that makes me feel something.  There are too many who don't communicate what they're singing.

Leontyne Price, example, has a luscious voice, of course, but she knew how to communicate an aria--her colors change with each line; she builts each aria slowly from start to thrilling finish.  The listener is taken on a journey.

A similar sounding singer, Renee Fleming, leaves me totally cold.  She sounds pretty but I feel nothing (only in her Eugene Onegin appearance did I finally get some of the hullabaloo).

In the pop world, it's Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey.  The former made me feel so relaxed with her singing.  The latter just sounds pretty.