Subject: Re: tauber - was What makes a satisfying singer
From: k youngmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 20 Nov 2017 13:12:58 -0600

Yes, that’s one of my “desert island” recordings.

Many years ago, before I had a copy in my collection and Andy Karzas’s “From the Recording Horn” was still on the air weeknights, I sent him a request to play it. To give you an idea of what a “Mensch” Andy was - my wife and I were just about to sit down to dinner when he called to tell me that he was going to play it that evening and that I should have my tape recorder ready. That served as my copy for quite some time, until I came across a 2 CD set at Tower Records: “Der Junge Richard Tauber - Arien und Duette.” The set includes recordings from 1919 - 1926 and I consider a must-have for anyone who loves great singing. It’s still available (and quite inexpensively so) from Amazon in MP3. <http://tinyurl.com/ybhcyfb4> Two of the Mozart arias I mentioned in my previous post are included.

Also highly recommended (by me) is “Schöne and Tauber in Operetta” in which Tauber and Lotte Schöne <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotte_Schöne> sing arias but, unfortunately, no duets. Amazon has this in MP3 as well: <http://tinyurl.com/yc6wkptb>. It includes that magnificent “Grüss mir mein Wien” that I mentioned earlier.

Kurt Youngmann