Subject: Re: Nilsson on Corelli and Turandot
From: robert levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 16 Nov 2017 13:06:45 -0500

I never said she wasn't a glorious singer - she knocked me out in Troyens
and Ariadne and as Sieglinde. But the top two or three notes came early and
infrequently and the tessitura of the Immolation Scene almost killed her
with the NY Phil - a quite terrifying experience to behold (she was one of
my favorite singers). I'm  convinced that her "natural" voice was closer to
contralto with occasional forays upward - aside from that Alceste and the
Four Last Songs (heaven!), she was more comfy in the middle than above.
No offense meant.
Bob