Subject: Re: What makes a satisfying singer
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 20 Nov 2017 11:44:23 -0500

His operatic career, though noteworthy, was limited, and pretty much
over even before the death of Caruso, but I must remind myself, as well
as others, that the singer whom I consider to be the most satisfying of
all time, is still John McCormack.  It is an opinion which takes nothing
away from Di Stefano, Gigli, Melchior,Tauber,  or many other great
tenors I love, but none of them commanded the variety of styles, from
Handel and even Wagner, to Puccini, Hugo Wolf, Moore, Lehar, and
Irving Berlin, in which he was eminently satisfying.  (Speaking only of'
recorded evidence covering a period of almost forty years).

dtmk