Subject: Re: Opinions on the live NORMA from 1977 with Caballe and Cossotto?
From: Ulrik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 20 Nov 2017 05:38:51 -0500

On Sun, 19 Nov 2017 22:05:08 -0600, Ombrarecds <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Caballe's Lucia recording is coloratura free and a big bore. Love her voice but cannot
imagine why she felt it necessary to record this role which has been done so well by so many
>Patrick Byrne
With all due respect, it is not correct that Ms Caballé's Lucia is "coloratura free". Granted,
there is no cadenza in the mad scene. But she does sing coloratura in other parts of the
opera. She is one of the few singers I have heard (also on recording) to do the complete
ending of the first act cabaletta,  including the (apparently quite difficult) descending and
ascending e-c-g-e-c-e-g-c-e-c-g-e-g-c-e-g-d run on "a lui d'accanto".

And she sings very fast (and impressive, in my view) coloratura on the recording of Guillaume
Tell in the second aria.

Kind regards

Modify your settings: