Subject: Re: What makes a satisfying singer
From: Isaac Alan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 20 Nov 2017 06:46:11 +0000

To listen to Giuseppe di Stefano sing without being moved emotionally, would indicate some kind of breathing stone, rather than flesh and blood. He was a magnificent artist with a very beautiful voice, and these qualities made him special in a very satisfying way. Caruso is another, who in spite of faults and idiosyncrasies, is overwhelmingly satisfying on a number of fronts, not least of which was his incredible ability to lift the tone from low to middle to high voice, as if an elevator were transporting all the power and emotion in one solid unit. Jussi Bjoerling is satisfying for his glorious outpouring of tone, and his sometimes quite uncanny musicality. Maria Callas for all the reasons that have been posted here for years, Richard Tauber for his depth of feeling and his magical way with a melody, and for me, his ability to make a rather flawed voice sound wonderful, and even at times quite magnificent.

Reagrds,

Isaac Alan