Subject: Re: Nilsson on Corelli and Turandot
From: "G. Paul Padillo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 16 Nov 2017 12:53:32 -0500

Mr. Levine wrote (in part):

“I felt the same way about Jessye Norman as a soprano.  She just wasn't.”

Meaning no disrespect, but that’s just the craziest thing I’ve read all day!  At its loveliest,
Norman’s soprano was one of the most elegant, cleanly, evenly-produced voices I know of in
the last half century.

First up, “Se pietade avete, o Numi” from Haydn’s “Armida.”   Here, Norman’s seamless line,
beautifully produced legatos, near perfect trills (at least three of them), High C’s and cleanly
produced coloratura render this my favorite recording of this difficult aria.  Her work here is
nothing if not breathtakingly beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1WQBAvKS1Q

Her classic recording of “Dove Sono”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5WDGxpblZc

Here is Ms. Norman in a short (4 minute) film giving one of the most thrillingly dramatic
performances I know of Schubert’s best known song.  Her brilliant delineation – three
completely distinct voices and characters, one flowing breathlessly directly after the other,
turns “Erlkönig” into a 4 minute opera simultaneously both chilling and heartbreaking.  This
is complete mastery of “acting with the voice” . . . of course having one of the world’s most
expressive faces doesn’t hurt in this instance either!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8noeFpdfWcQ

This is, at least to me, a soprano.  And an amazingly gifted one at that.

p.