Subject: Re: Opinions on the live NORMA from 1977 with Caballe and Cossotto?
From: David Kubiak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 19 Nov 2017 13:50:13 -0500

Max is definitely right about Cossotto, especially true if you heard her in
the 60's, when she was the proverbial 'force of nature'.

The Caballé Orange 'Norma' was only three years earlier, and every time I
listen to it I am stunned by the perfection of her "Deh non voler le
vittime".  Curious how a very few years can make a big difference in some
singers' vocal prowess.

David Kubiak

>1977
>
>Saw Caballé’s first run of Turandot and Cossotto as Amneris that year in
San Francisco.

>Cossotto powerful and expressive but getting harsh and edged and developing
a serious weak patch in her middle voice. Also first signs of flatting on
high notes.

>Caballé alternating evenings of glorious singing with others in which she
was strident and squally when venturing above piano on high notes.