Subject: Re: Opinions on the live NORMA from 1977 with Caballe and Cossotto?
From: Max Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 18 Nov 2017 19:24:48 -1000

Should be.

1977

Saw Caballé’s first run of Turandot and Cossotto as Amneris that year in San Francisco.

Cossotto powerful and expressive but getting harsh and edged and developing a serious weak patch in her middle voice. Also first signs of flatting on high notes.

Caballé alternating evenings of glorious singing with others in which she was strident and squally when venturing above piano on high notes.

Conversation between Gwyneth Jones and Birgit Nilsson in spring of ‘77 during rehearsals of Carlos Kleiber led “Elektra” in London.

GJ: I was just in Cavallé country.
BN: You mean Aballé country.
GJ: No - I was in Barcelona; Caballé country.
BN: Yes - she’s lost her C. Cackle, cackle.

Max Paley

Sent from my iPad