Subject: Re: Death in Venice
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 18 Nov 2017 22:05:18 -0500

"This opera [Britten's "Death in Venice"] is one of the thinnest, most superficial I've ever
experienced, both in the theatre and through listening to recordings."

On the contrary, "Death in Venice" is a profound and moving work, the late fruits of one of the
great composers of the 20th century.

I attended the Metropolitan Opera premiere of "Death in Venice" in October 1974 (with Peter
Pears as Aschenbach and John Shirley-Quirk as the Seven Nemeses).  I can't say that I liked
it much then, but I was nevertheless very impressed by the opera, and the music and staging
remain vividly in my memory.   With greater experience and maturity in the years since then,
I have come to appreciate "Death in Venice" for the masterpiece that it is.

MDW