Subject: Sherrill Milnes Master Class at Arizona Opera & Tosca weekend.
From: Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 16 Nov 2017 10:08:05 -0700

We were presented with a real treat at Arizona Opera last night.  The great
baritone Sherrill Milnes gave a Master Class with four young singers from
the Marion Roose Pullin Studio Artists Program at Arizona Opera.  There was
a capacity crowd and we were not disappointed.  Milnes turned out to be
charming personally and incredibly patient and giving to the young singers
he was working with.  The four were Katrina Galka, soprano, Stephanie
Sanchez, mezzo-soprano, Anthony Ciaramitaro, tenor and Jarred Porter,
baritone.  It was a nicely balanced group of singers and Milnes offered a
combination of technical and very practical advise on the ins and outs of
singing on stage.  He was always to the point, on point but never
condescending to his young charges.  I've seen lots of master classes and
this was one of the better ones.  Afterwards there was an audience Q & A
and he was both charming and disarmingly honest.

If he per chance is giving a class in your area, you really should attend.
It brought back lots of memories - I grew up on the Three M's - Milnes,
MacNeil and Merrill - I could actually add a fourth - Manuguerra.  I was
scared and spoiled for life.  They just don't make them like this anymore.

This weekend is the Phoenix performances of Tosca.  Kara Shay Thomson,
Rafael Davila, and Gordon Hawkins sing Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Saturday nights cast includes Marcy Stonikas, Marco Cammarota and Aleksey
Bogdanov.  If you haven't heard him, Bogdanov is the real thing and I think
in years to come, we will hear great things from him.  It is a big, rich,
Verdi baritone with an easy top - just the kind we need in the big houses.

Donald