Subject: Re: Nilsson on Corelli and Turandot
From: David Kubiak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 16 Nov 2017 11:52:49 -0500

I certainly don't want to start up the Domingo wars again, but this comment
reminded me of a question I have had since Sirius started up and we have
heard so many live Domingo performances.  Almost invariably there are places
where he cracks and goes hoarse very badly.  As a listener I practically get
a sore throat myself hearing things like his attempt at the end of 'Celeste
Aida' or in 'Ora e per sempre' at ' QUESTo il fin.'.  You would think that
all this straining and cracking over such a long career would inevitably
cause damage to the voice, but it never really did. When he got back below
the staff he continued to produce beautiful legato singing (I refer to his
main career, not this bizarre tail end).  Any thoughts about how he avoided
permanent damage to his instrument?

David Kubiak

_______