Subject: Re: When I Am Laid In Earth
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 17 Nov 2017 20:13:35 -0500

Is there any evidence that any one on the verge of death, provided they
retain an ability to hear,
has been able to assemble the performers or the electronic substitutions it
would take to produce
such a thing as "deathbed music", and that they then calmly slipped, with a
smile, into oblivion?

The choices thus far submitted, have ranged from bizarre to impossible.  It
must be noted
that a Requiem is for the ears of the survivors, not the deceased.  What I
might be thinking of
as appropriate music, for my taste, when the time comes, is the sublime
ending to Brahms'
Requiem: "Selig sind die Toten",  but I'm sure I'm not likely to be in any
position to "enjoy" it..

Could the question really be: "what is the last thing you want to hear
before you die?"

dtmk