Subject: Re: Exterminating Angel
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Tue, 21 Nov 2017 20:44:57 -0500

On Mon, November 20, 2017 6:23 pm, A Katalin Mitchell wrote:
> But what distressed me was that
> the opera libretto completely dismissed the final act of the film when
they all attend a thanksgiving mass for their release at the cathedral,
and find that they can’t go back outside.  That was the punchline, and
what made the film so brilliant…. Why would the composer whose to
ignore it?

It's there, but it's unsaid. They're finally free, but nobody leaves. The
whole ensemble masses onstage and the arch which has been the line they
couldn't cross moves back around them.

I didn't see the HD, but I saw the second performance in the house. I also
heard one on Sirius, and though it came across very badly on the radio.
Was sound good for the HD? I know that can vary among viewing venues, but
what I heard on Sirius just seemed badly engineered...either they didn't
adjust to the piece or the production quality has lessened this season. I
haven't heard many of the live broadcasts this season to know if it's just
this piece.

--scott