Subject: Re: Turandot
From: Maxwell Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 8 Nov 2017 12:00:11 -0800

The big problem for me with “Turandot” is the way the music falls off a cliff after Liu’s death procession.

Those bare fifths that follow slam you in the face and are followed by either repetitions of earlier material or else of new material whose melodic invention doesn’t approach what we’ve heard before.

I’m speaking of the Alfano ending - I’ve never heard the Berio. What I’ve heard of the “incomplete” Alfano hasn’t whetted my appetite to hear more.

But then I heard no compelling music in Alfano’s “Cyrano.”

Max Paley