Subject: Re: Turandot
From: Frank Cadenhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 8 Nov 2017 14:00:38 -0500

My second post today... A different focus:  Ping, Pang, and Pong.
A long time ago, during a Met intermission feature, the panel was asked to name
the three worst characters in opera. The immediate first response was, not
surprisingly, Ping, Pang and Pong (to much laughter and applause). It seemed
everyone was on the same page.

A staging recently derided here, the Turandot in the Chinese restaurant, actually
changed my opinion on that. The three were workers in the restaurant and when
each of them had their aria, they would appear alone on the landing at the rear of
the restaurant and all action would stop. Their passion and longing were suddenly
central and the intense beauty of their music was highlighted. It emphasized that
they were all caught in the instant and wanted things to be different.

Frank Cadenhead