Subject: Re: Nilsson on Corelli and Turandot
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 14 Nov 2017 14:46:24 -0600

NEITHER on of them needed to be nervous ------not with what THEY had in their throats. Nilsson and Corelli probably stand as the strongest and the most solid "Turandot" pairing since the time the opera was written. I would gather that opera people consider them unchallenged in this opera.  To have heard and seen Nilsson and Corelli hurl out those thunderbolt top Bs and Cs was akin to experiencing one of the wonders of the opera world.  I was very young at the time, only fifteen, but they did it on tour with the Met in 1961 and we in the audience were blown away.  It ranked up there with my opening night of "Semiramide" with Sutherland and Horne ten years later (1971), and lastly, that fabulous concert performance of "Salome" with Nilsson and Solti in 1974.  For some reason, those three opera evenings alone stand out in my mind to this day.  Could it get any better than that?  If so, I can't remember or say for sure.  Lots of wonderful evenings in Chicago, but these are my "big three".