Subject: Nilsson on Corelli and Turandot
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 14 Nov 2017 13:06:40 -0500

From a Met intermission interview in the 1990s - Nilsson talking about Corelli and Turandot:

"Well, yes, he had terrible nerves.  And I don't know why because he had almost more voice
than he could husband, with those fantastic high notes.  I remember before our performances
in Turandot he would be pacing around backstage like a lion in a cage.  And I always said,
"Oh, Turandot is my vacation role!"  and so while he was pacing around, I would be sitting
there reading the New York Times.  In reality I was so nervous that I was probably reading it
upside down, but he never knew.  And when we came to the high Cs in Act Two, the audience
was half standing in their seats waiting for them.  It was like a bull-fight."

MDW