Subject: Re: Turandot
From: Rich Lowenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 8 Nov 2017 15:03:24 +0000

I have to say that I consider Turandot by far the most horrifying opera
in the canon--far more than Sweeney Todd (cannibalism and all). Turandot
is a monster--which she wasn't in the earlier versions of the
story--something that the work fails to realize. I do not care whether
villains are punished in stories, but I do ask that their villainy be
recognized, and not erased by pretty sets and crashing chords. Somehow,
the ending of Turandot asks us to pretend that everything that happened
before, including the torture and death of Liu (surely one of the most
despicable scenes in opera) be somehow redeemed by the magic of "love."
There is a misogyny and sadism present in much of Puccini's work that
comes to full fruition in Turandot, but this central aspect of the opera
is rarely noted. (I often wonder how Puccini would have set "Bluebeard's
Castle.")

Is there another opera or musical that so little merits its "happy
ending"? I think the only way the work should reasonably be performed
today is as some sort of Brechtian satire--which would be in keeping
with its commedia del'arte origins.

I do like much of the music, but hate myself for it.