Subject: Il Barbiere - two Metropolitan Opera recordings and that Chicago Walkure
From: James Camner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 13 Nov 2017 10:03:43 -0800

Last night I had a hankering to go to the Barber of Seville.

I did an Apple search and two that popped up were the 2011 Met Opera live
performance with Mattei and Camarena (you have to enter "Il Barbiere" to
find it) and the venerable Leinsdorf recording with Merrill and Valletti.
(You need to enter "The Barber of Seville" for that one)

The 2011 recording sounds great in the digital download but the singing is,
IMHO, sketchy, lots of aspirating, I didn't last long with it..

The Leinsdorf is a different matter, the singing is brilliant (I don't
think anyone has come close to Valletti's Almaviva  or Merrill's Barber in
subsequent recordings and Peters is quite good in an old fashioned way) and
Sony's 2016 remastering is spectacular, it's never sounded this good
before. What a reassuring treat. Operatic comfort food.

James Camner

PS, those Walkure photos from Chicago look dreadful and yet, all that
praise from the NYT???. I wonder what Lepage could have done to the critics
to get the bum's rush for a Ring that looked awfully good to me?