Subject: Re: Framk Corsaro, the great opera director/designer and so much more-RIP
From: David Wagner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 13 Nov 2017 00:48:41 -0500

Sorry to hear this. He was brilliant. In some rep I preferred Capobianco,
but all of Corsaro's work that I saw was both provocative and faithful to
the music and text. I'd mention his Makropoulos Case in particular. I know
he directed elsewhere than at NYCO, but imagine one company having both him
and Capobianco on its directing staff....

So here's my When I Met Corsaro story. As background, I had seen Patricia
Brooks in his Traviata, some time in the late '60s. She had very little
voice left - but you didn't care, she put across the drama so brilliantly.

So then it's spring of 1973 and the family is at another NYCO Traviata,
this time a Sunday matinee. Our Violetta was Heather Thompson: perfectly
respectable, which is saying a lot in this role, but not vocally a Sills
nor dramatically a Brooks.

At an intermission, and I think it was the second, I recognized him; I
figured directors don't often get recognized by 15 year old boys, so I
walked up and said, "M-Mr C-c-corsaro, sir? Would you sign me program?"

HIM (while autographing): This isn't really the way I directed it.
ME: I know. I've seem Pat Brooks do it.
HIM: Well *then* you've seen my production.

-David Wagner