Subject: Re: Turandot
From: Frank Cadenhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 8 Nov 2017 13:29:56 -0500

I find these postings odd. All of opera, from Monteverdi on, has themes of lust in
association with bad or oppressive governance. Injustice is just as central to opera
plots as is love and passion. Americans (I being one) have routinely taken all this
political stuff as "background" but it was not "background" when the opera was
composed.

I would think that disturbing images of red-cap-wearing supporters of our current
President cheering whatever their despotic leader says might have some resonance
with those fickle choruses demanding the head of someone or other. I was
dumbfounded that most here had no idea why the chorus in the Bayreuth
Lohengrin were wearing mice suits. They cheer a leader and, five minutes later, are
cheering another with an entirely different and more deadly program. Germany, of
course, is still only a generation or two away from a very bad period in their
history and might be more sensitive than most. But if any American has missed
the lesson of how a dangerous force can take over what was thought to be a stable
political system, they are living in a cocoon.

Frank Cadenhead