Subject: Re: Menotti: The Consul . . . and other works (was Re: Turandot)
From: Idia Legray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 12 Nov 2017 11:33:54 -0500

Addendum: After further research I find that Ghiringelli is the one
responsible for Callas not getting the role of Magda in "The Consul."
It was "Vanessa" that did not impress Callas and she turned it down.

"Maria Callas, then at the height of her fame, was his preferred choice for
the title rôle. Barber invited her to Capricorn, the home he and Menotti had
built in Mt. Kisco, NY, and played through the score for her. Callas was
unimpressed, feeling that the rôle of Erika was stronger than that of the
protagonist, and she refused to consider it."

In reading this I found myself agreeing with her assessment of her opinion
of the role of Erica being the stronger, meatier role.