Subject: Re: Turandot
From: RAYMOND GOUIN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 8 Nov 2017 13:28:08 -0500

The opera is actually more bloody and gory than most imagine.  In the original libretto as approved by Puccini (which was completed even thouigh the music was not), the opera ends with imperial guards seizing Calaf, stripping him and preparing to castrate and emasculate him as the curtain falls.

This is Chinese fairy tale version of safe sex.  :)

Best.

Ray (Chinese scholar)

.

.

SEE END OF STRING

***

> On November 8, 2017 at 12:41 PM Les Mitnick wrote:
>

>     Rich:
>     You have definitely raised a point about "Turandot" that I've never really considered. Yes, it's a bloody and gory story (though it remains a fantasy which "Dialogues" is NOT). You have three characters (Ping, Pang, Pong) to provide some comic relief --- and Turandot does have tremendous spectacle as well as orchestral and choral "spectaculars". I've never felt completely comfortable with the happy ending (especially in view of Liu's particularly emotional demise), but I cannot bring myself to think of the opera as "horrifying". "Turandot" has served as the "first opera" for many "newbees" because of the color and spectacle -as well as the orchestral and choral music.
>     Not sure if you should want to "hate yourself" for admiring the music. Not sure about how to really respond to your observation. I've never thought the point you're raising here, though I've seen over the years similar feelings, perhaps not quite as emphatic as yours, however.
>     Would like to see others weigh-in" on this. You might have sparked an interesting thread.
>
>         > > On November 8, 2017 at 9:03 AM Rich Lowenthal wrote:
> >

> >         I have to say that I consider Turandot by far the most horrifying opera
> >         in the canon--far more than Sweeney Todd (cannibalism and all). Turandot
> >         is a monster--which she wasn't in the earlier versions of the
> >         story--something that the work fails to realize. I do not care whether
> >         villains are punished in stories, but I do ask that their villainy be
> >         recognized, and not erased by pretty sets and crashing chords. Somehow,
> >         the ending of Turandot asks us to pretend that everything that happened
> >         before, including the torture and death of Liu (surely one of the most
> >         despicable scenes in opera) be somehow redeemed by the magic of "love."
> >         There is a misogyny and sadism present in much of Puccini's work that
> >         comes to full fruition in Turandot, but this central aspect of the opera
> >         is rarely noted. (I often wonder how Puccini would have set "Bluebeard's
> >         Castle.")
> >
> >         Is there another opera or musical that so little merits its "happy
> >         ending"? I think the only way the work should reasonably be performed
> >         today is as some sort of Brechtian satire--which would be in keeping
> >         with its commedia del'arte origins.
> >
> >         I do like much of the music, but hate myself for it.

To embarass those who did not read to end and responded as if this message serious, it is not.  It is fake news,