Subject: Re: Turandot at the Met
From: Charles Mintzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 12 Nov 2017 07:58:48 -0500

I received this gracious letter from an opera-l reader, and want to share this with the whole list:

Dear Brian,
I guess I shall recommend this to my colleagues at the Met; finding a way to highlight chapters.
Here are some of the chapters I worked on from memory:
The Faust opening night 1883
Chaliapin Barber of Seville
The very best one, Tuggle and I worked over a month on it: Opening night 1908; Gatti, Toscanini, Destinn debuts—14 full reviews, photos and unpublished Caruso drawings.
Ponselle’s Norma
Flagstad’s Alceste
DiStefano’s Mignon
La Juive, appended to the Shicoff revival
There are perhaps a few others, but this is off the top of my head.