Subject: Turandot
From: David Shengold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 12 Nov 2017 07:38:21 +0000

Les Mitnick:

" I find it interesting that "Turandot" was looked upon as a "Puccini
> > exotica" in the period of the 1930s and 1940s.  It was performed only
> very  occasionally in Europe"

Bob Rideout:
 It is true that Turandot languished in the Anglo-Geman opera firmament,
> not
> unlike Fanciulla
And yet the Vienna State Opera Archives document that the original 1926 production, originated by Lehmann, Slezak and Berta Kiurina, continued in the repertory until 1944, with performances of TURANDOT given in every single year between save for 1940. That is 118 performances.
The next Staatsoper production came in December 1948, adding another performances before the 40s were over and continuing every year until 1958.
I count 85 shows between 1930 and 1950, the majority of them (58!)  sung by Maria Nemeth, But Cebortari, Grob-Prandl, Anny Helm,  Clara Jacobo, Jeritza, Illisch, Pauly, Roselle and two sopranos unknown to me, Slavka Prochaskova and Olga Tschoener, also had their shots at the headdress and staircase.
And mention of Eva Turner makes me recall that Covent Garden revived TURANDOT for her in 1937(with Martinelli, Albanese/Favero) and 1948.
I'd be interested to know how frequently it was heard in Barcelona and Buenos Aires in the 30s and 40s.

I think many people tend to forget that before the epochal Met revival, New York City Opera staged TURANDOT not infrequently starting in 1950, with casts including Dragica (a/k/a Carla) Martinis/Frances Yeend, Giulio Gari/Flaviano Labo and Eva Likova. Anyone here see that staging?
Cheers - David