Subject: Re: Menotti: The Consul . . . and other works (was Re: Turandot)
From: Idia Legray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 11 Nov 2017 21:55:12 -0500

When opera first struck my brain at the age of 16 it was Menotti's "The
Consul" (of which I know practically every single word of the libretto and
score) it hit me that hard.  Patricia Neway was nothing short of brilliant.
The entire cast was made up of sympathetic characters that touched one's
heart and it stands high on my list of the best there is.

I imagine Patricia Racette must have been superb in this --it seems so right
for her -- and I only wish I could see it again and again.  It is nothing short
of a masterpiece.

Coming right behind it was another magnificent offering by Menotti, "The
Saint of Bleecker Street."  And what a superb performance by the deceased
David Poleri who was killed in a plane crash too early to show everyone
what a great tenor he would have been, fiery temperament and all, had he
lived.

An aside: I believe I read where Menotti asked Maria Callas to do Magda
Sorel but she turned him down exclaiming that she doesn't like to do
operas sung in English.