Subject: Final observations about Turandot
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 11 Nov 2017 12:54:00 -0600

I find it interesting that "Turandot" was looked upon as a "Puccini exotica" in the period of the 1930s and 1940s.  It was performed only very occasionally in Europe and the UK and it was covered in the earlier editions of "The Victor Book of Operas". Opera lovers knew about it, but I don't think they really heard it.  Birgit Nilsson herself said that when the opera was proposed to her in 1954 in Stockholm, she openly admitted that she never heard a note of it.  Like the South Pole, everyone knew it was there, but very few ventured there. Then all of a sudden, in the 1950s, came recordings from London/Decca (Borkh, Tebaldi, del Monaco), EMI (Callas, Schwarzkopf, Fernandi), and finally the first Nilsson recording with Nilsson, Tebaldi, Bjoerling, and Tozzi ---- and the opera was launched into a popularity it never knew before.  And of course that famous Met revival with Nilsson and Corelli didn't hurt it either.  From that time on, "Turandot" became a staple of the standard repertoire and it has remained there.  Nilsson herself said that it was Wagner that made her reputation, but it was Turandot that "made my fortune".  It should have because her voice was ideal for it.  She must have sung it over and over all over the world.  It was HER opera and no one else came even close.
     Whether one likes the opera or not, it's certainly here to stay and it's not going anywhere.  Who would have predicted this in the 1940s?